Manual Ref* NFnrNOR216 Show 2 images 940

Memorial sarcophagus for Jeremiah Cozens

County Norfolk   District Council Norwich City Council 
Civil Parish or equivalent Norwich  Town/Village* Norwich - Rosary Cemetery 
Road Off Rosary Road 
Precise Location Near no 41 on Williams and Marriage map 
OS Grid Ref TG244080  Postcode NR1 
Previous location(s)  
Setting Rosary Cemetery  Access  
Artist/Maker Role Qualifier
Willam Dixon  Foundry   

Commissioned by

Cozens family 

Design & Constrn period


Date of installing


Exact date of unveiling



Abstract Animal Architectural
Commercial Commemorative Composite
Free Functional Funerary
Heraldic Military Natural
Non-Commemorative Performance Portable
Religious Roadside, Wayside Sculptural
Temporary, Mobile Other  

Object Type

Building Clock Tower Architectural
Coat of Arms Cross Fountain
Landscape Marker Medallion
Mural Panel Readymade
Relief Shaft Sculpture
Statue Street Furniture War Memorial
Other Object Sub Type: Funerary sarcophagus

Subject Type

Allegorical Mythological Pictorial
Figurative Non-figurative Portrait
Still-life Symbolic Other

Subject Sub Type

Bust Equestrian Full-length
Group Head Reclining
Seated Standing Torso
Part Material Dimension
Sarcophagus  Cast iron painted black  160cm long x 90 high 100 wide 
Plinth  Stone  140cm long x 10 high x 80 wide 
Base  Stone  160cm long x 80 high x 100 wide 

Work is

Extant Not Sited Lost


Norwich City Council 

Listing status

Grade I Grade II* Grade II Don't Know Not Listed

Surface Condition

Corrosion, Deterioration Accretions
Bird Guano Abrasions, cracks, splits
Biological growth Spalling, crumbling
Metallic staining Previous treatments

Structural Condition

Armature exposed Broken or missing parts
Replaced parts Loose elements
Cracks, splits, breaks, holes Spalling, crumbling
Water collection Other


Graffiti Structural damage Surface Damage

Overall condition

Good Fair Poor


No Known Risk At Risk Immediate
Signatures/Marks On bottom of southern short side: Dixon Founders 
Inscriptions Right main: In memory of/ Jeremiah Cozens/ Of Sprowston in this county/Who died 20 January 1849/ Aged 32 years/ and of Mary Ann his wife/ Who died 28 October 1864/ Aged 21 years Left hand: Near this spot are interred/The remains of/ Mary, the wife of Joseph Wiley/ Of Buxton Lodge in this county/ She died September 2nd 1837/ Aged 34 years/ Also Catherine daughter of Joseph and Mary Wiley/ Died 20 September 1838/ aged 11 year/ Also Joseph their son, who died/ 28th February 1839, aged 2 year/ Also Joseph Wiley of Sprowston/ Who did 30 July 1855 aged 52 years Rear: To the memory of/ Jeremiah /Cozens Jun/ Who died on sixth day to April 1827/ Aged 94 years Anne his wife/who died December 1829?/ Aged 23 years Rear: Thomas Wiley/ Of St Georges Colegate Norwich Died 13 March 1838 Aged 74 Year To the beloved memory of/Mary Ann daughter of Jos & Mary Wiley/Who died 17th July 1871/Aged 45 years 

Description (physical)

A splendid Renaissance inspired sarcophagus standing on lions' paws with lion heads holding rings at either end and an urn on top. 

Description (iconographical)

Jeremiah Cozens junior was one of the Cozens descended from Peter Cozens, d. 1738 of Panxworth, whose ancestors included three other Jeremiahs, the last of St Clement and Sprowston, who is mentioned on the inscription on rear of the plinth, together with his second wife, Mary Ann Hardy. Jeremiah Cozens was born in 1817 and remained at the family home in Sprowston while his eldest brother, William, born 1806, practised as a lawyer at Letheringsett, changing his name to Cozens-Hardy in 1842 when he inherited his maternal uncle's estate there. William's second son, Herbert Cozens-Hardy b.1838, became the 1st Baron Cozens-Hardy, Master of the Rolls 1907-1918. William's eldest daughter, Caroline b.1831 married Jeremiah James Colman and is also buried in the Rosary Cemetery. The taste for cast iron is shown in two nearby monuments in the Rosary, to Christopher Holme d. 1840 and Augustus Myhill d. 1851, both of whose stone monuments have cast iron urns and Corinthian columns at the corners. No Dixons are listed as founders in the contemporary Norfolk Directories. The sarcophagus must have come from Govan Iron Works on Cathcart Road, founded in 1837 by William Dixon as the first ironworks in Glasgow. The Govan Iron Works did not produce many products for sale. This must be an early exception, similar to those produced by Garretts at Leiston in the late 1830s, before the establishment of their business manufacturing farm implements. Dixon’s blast furnaces, which required vast quantities of coal, were constructed close to his Govan Colliery and they were known as William Dixon Ltd from the early 1870s.  


Date taken:  30/8/2009
Date logged: 

Photographed by:
Sarah Cocke

On Site Inspection

Date:  30/8/2009

Inspected by:
Richard Cocke

Sources and References

Rye, W., Norfolk Families, Norwich, 1913 1, 128-9; accessed 30/08/2009 


Date entered:  31/8/2009

Data inputter:
Richard Cocke