Manual Ref* NFnrNOR067 Show 2 images 169


County Norfolk   District Council Norwich City Council 
Civil Parish or equivalent Norwich City Council  Town/Village* Norwich 
Road Orford Place 
Precise Location No. 8 
OS Grid Ref TG231083  Postcode NR1 
Previous location(s)  
Setting On Building  Access Public 
Artist/Maker Role Qualifier
Not known     
Replacement Blyth-Jex School Art Department  Other   

Commissioned by

George Jeffries Gunmaker 

Design & Constrn period

Original ca. 1883 replacement 1984 

Date of installing


Exact date of unveiling



Abstract Animal Architectural
Commercial Commemorative Composite
Free Functional Funerary
Heraldic Military Natural
Non-Commemorative Performance Portable
Religious Roadside, Wayside Sculptural
Temporary, Mobile Other  

Object Type

Building Clock Tower Architectural
Coat of Arms Cross Fountain
Landscape Marker Medallion
Mural Panel Readymade
Relief Shaft Sculpture
Statue Street Furniture War Memorial
Other Object Sub Type: Shop sign

Subject Type

Allegorical Mythological Pictorial
Figurative Non-figurative Portrait
Still-life Symbolic Other

Subject Sub Type

Bust Equestrian Full-length
Group Head Reclining
Seated Standing Torso
Part Material Dimension
Original  Cement  L. 2 metres approx. 
Replacement  Fibreglass  L.2 metres approx. 

Work is

Extant Not Sited Lost


Darlows Gunmakers and repairers 

Listing status

Grade I Grade II* Grade II Don't Know Not Listed

Surface Condition

Corrosion, Deterioration Accretions
Bird Guano Abrasions, cracks, splits
Biological growth Spalling, crumbling
Metallic staining Previous treatments

Structural Condition

Armature exposed Broken or missing parts
Replaced parts Loose elements
Cracks, splits, breaks, holes Spalling, crumbling
Water collection Other


Graffiti Structural damage Surface Damage

Overall condition

Good Fair Poor


No Known Risk At Risk Immediate

Description (physical)

The shop has been a gunmakers since the nineteenth century and Darlows are still there behind the obvious shop front. They believe that the original stag was commissioned as a sign by George Jeffries. The first mention of Jeffries is in 1883. The cement original was taken down in 1973 and replaced by the current fibreglass copy -the work of the Blyth-Jex school Art Department- in 1984. The shop is listed Grade II but this hardly applies to the replacement stag. 

Description (iconographical)

It proclaims the message 'shoot it with our guns'. 


Date taken:  8/6/2006
Date logged: 

Photographed by:
Sarah Cocke

On Site Inspection

Date:  21/6/2006

Inspected by:
Richard Cocke

Sources and References

Eyre's Norwich Directory London 1883 140 


Date entered:  1/9/2006

Data inputter:
Richard Cocke