Manual Ref* NFnrNOR075 Show image 121

Anchor Building

County Norfolk   District Council Norwich City Council 
Civil Parish or equivalent Norwich City Council  Town/Village* Norwich 
Road Red Lion street 
Precise Location No. 23 
OS Grid Ref TG232084  Postcode NR1 
Previous location(s)  
Setting On Building  Access Public 
Artist/Maker Role Qualifier
Not known     

Commissioned by

Bullard and Sons 

Design & Constrn period

By 1900 

Date of installing


Exact date of unveiling



Abstract Animal Architectural
Commercial Commemorative Composite
Free Functional Funerary
Heraldic Military Natural
Non-Commemorative Performance Portable
Religious Roadside, Wayside Sculptural
Temporary, Mobile Other  

Object Type

Building Clock Tower Architectural
Coat of Arms Cross Fountain
Landscape Marker Medallion
Mural Panel Readymade
Relief Shaft Sculpture
Statue Street Furniture War Memorial
Other Object Sub Type: Emblem in roundel and cartouche

Subject Type

Allegorical Mythological Pictorial
Figurative Non-figurative Portrait
Still-life Symbolic Other

Subject Sub Type

Bust Equestrian Full-length
Group Head Reclining
Seated Standing Torso
Part Material Dimension
Roundel and cartouche  Stucco painted  H 2 metres W. 1 metre 

Work is

Extant Not Sited Lost


Not known 

Listing status

Grade I Grade II* Grade II Don't Know Not Listed

Surface Condition

Corrosion, Deterioration Accretions
Bird Guano Abrasions, cracks, splits
Biological growth Spalling, crumbling
Metallic staining Previous treatments

Structural Condition

Armature exposed Broken or missing parts
Replaced parts Loose elements
Cracks, splits, breaks, holes Spalling, crumbling
Water collection Other


Graffiti Structural damage Surface Damage

Overall condition

Good Fair Poor


No Known Risk At Risk Immediate
Inscriptions Inscribed in central bay between windows of first and second storey ANCHOR BUILDINGS. Roundels in pediments to side inscribed with intertwined BS (for Bullard and Sons, brewers). 

Description (physical)

In cartouche set in central pediment an anchor and chain with rocks a version of the brewery emblem from 1868 on display at Anchor Quay NFnrNOR 117. The street was widened and rebuilt from 1900 onwards. The Anchor buildings were built by Bullards with the Orford Arms in the left hand building. The Orford Arms (a Bullards pub) had been on the site since at least 1865. A photo by George Swain on Picture Noroflk shows the building with Grix's Grill Room on the left. William Grix was the licensee from 1900-1905. The last licensee was recorded in 1937. Updated 28/02/2017 

Description (iconographical)



Date taken:  14/6/2006
Date logged: 

Photographed by:
Sarah Cocke

On Site Inspection

Date:  25/5/2006

Inspected by:
Richard Cocke

Sources and References; Nikolaus Pevsner and Bill Wilson, Buildings of England. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East, New Haven and London, 1997, p. 306 


Date entered:  27/7/2006

Data inputter:
Richard Cocke